Saturday, October 25, 2008

MOTHERLY MOMENTS

Since becoming a mother, I think there are moments that make us wonder what we ever did before and how wonderful it is to have this opportunity to raise one of Heavenly Father's spirits. Last night was NOT one of those moments.

!!WARNING!!
If you have a weak stomach, do not read any further.

So, Carey, being the wonderful husband that he is, came home from work and surprised the family by planning a night out to the movies. So, we ate dinner, got ready, went to the Dollar Store, and went to see the movie Wall-E at the cheap theater. We, of course, got popcorn and drinks to go along with our stashed candy, and being the great parents that we are remembered the sippy cups so that our kids don't spill their rootbeer everywhere. Things were great! The movie was cute, Allie laughed, maybe a little too loudly, when the rest of the audience laughed, and Easton for the most part was quiet except for the occasional loud "HI!" to whoever was walking down the isle. We were a little over an hour into the movie when Easton starting getting restless. He would climb onto Carey's lap, climb off, and then climb over to my lap. He was sitting on my lap pretty good when all of the sudden he leaned forward and threw up all over me! Gross, gross, gross!! It was pretty bad, so I leaned over to Carey and said, "Time to go!" I was trying to figure out how to get out of my seat, while Carey, who later would tell me he wasn't sure what to do, was looking around for who knows what, when Easton let loose again, but this time it was 5 times the amount of before. What can you do!? You don't want the throw up to go everywhere so you just hold your kid close to you so that it gets as little on the seats and floor as possible. I handed my box of candy to Carey, picked up Easton, and quickly ran for the doors. I was drenched and so was Easton. My whole shirt and most of my jeans were covered in bits of taco salad, rootbeer, milk curdles, and popcorn. I went into the bathroom to at least wash our hands and his face off and when I left I turned around to see bits of stuff left on the counter. It didn't do any good to go try to clean it up because I would just leave more bits wherever I walked so I just left, which I felt terrible about. I kept asking Carey if I should go back in and tell the people, but he said to just get out of there, which was fine with me since I was trying so hard not to breathe through my nose. Carey, being the gentleman that he is, took off his shirt so I could take off mine and wear his. It was embarrassing to have to change in the parking lot, but I wasn't making the 20 minute ride home in that shirt. The jeans would just have to wait. Easton was stripped down to his diaper and covered in a blanket since it was freezing outside and we made the trip home. When we got home I noticed the shirt Carey had given me was a little wet, and realized that my bra and gotten so soaked it was soaking into the dry shirt. Anyway, it was by far the grossest motherly moment I have had yet. Allie used to always throw up a ton on us as a baby, and she would soak us then. But this time it wasn't just breast milk, baby food or formula. We also weren't somewhere that we could just jump in the shower AND we were in a very public area. Oh well! Chalk one up for us mothers that would rather catch their kids throw up somehow rather than letting it get on the floor!

12 comments:

Nakamoto Ohana said...

YAY! I'm the first one to leave a comment. Now about your blog... a little to much detail for me. I had to read on cuz I had to read this story, but the dry heaves were there the whole time. Hope Easton feels better!!

Bench Family said...

Oh Carrie! I am sorry, but I am so laughing! That is completely horrible... but I am still laughing! ;) You are a great mom to let him throw up all over you. Hopefully that won't EVER happen again!

Terry Lynn said...

Throw-up, poop, pee,....mom's get some of each before the kid reaches school age. I so remember being in your shoes Carrie. It is times like that, that you laugh about in the future, but not now. :)

K & C said...

All I have to say is, "What goes around comes around" - how time flies.
luv
mom

Caranna said...

I have an Aunt with TONS of throw up stories; in stores, restaurants, theaters... her son threw up in their van and she actually threw herself in front of it to save her seats! (She didn't want her car to smell like puke!)
But as of yet, I've only been thrown up on at home. I'll keep crossing my fingers.
That's probably an experience you won't forget anytime soon!

The Suttons said...

Yuck! We just went through that same sickness with Tyson last week, luckily though he didn't throw up in public, only at home! Hope Easton wasn't sick for too long!

Mandee and Camshaft said...

That is awesome...

mickelsenfamily said...

Oh..that's awful! I hope he is feeling better now...and I hope you have recovered. How are you liking your new home?

Em said...

Oh Gar...I feel soooo bad for you! To be honest, part of me wants to laugh...but then part of me thinks I don't know what on earth I would have done in your shoes. Just the smell/sound/seeing throw-up makes me throw-up. You're a good mama! I have so many fun things like that to look forward to! Yay!

Also--props to Carey! What a gentleman!

Jennalee :) said...

I always say that those throw up moments are when it really hits home that you are a mom! Savanna has inherited Danny's weak gag reflex, so I totally understand. I was so excited to get your e-mail, here is our blog address:
jdmajor.blogspot.com
we are moving back to utah in 6 weeks and will have to come and see you guys!!! the kids are adorable :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh! I have to laugh because last night Ethan threw up all over me and my bed! It was so gross. This was my first experience with barf. Hahaha. See what I get to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Emma got the flu while Hannah and Ricky were vacationing with us in Hawaii this summer......I have never seen so much vomit come out of such a little person in my entire life. I think she threw up at least 8-9 times and it was hot dogs and milk. I swear more hot dogs came out of that child than we put in her. Poor baby. She was just 17 months old at the time and it was so pathetic. They had never had a sick baby before so they did not know that it wasn't over until it was OVER. She just kept wandering around and then, URP! More would come. She painted all of us and the floor and the couch...good thing the floor was tile, LOL. UGH.

The joys of motherhood!!